Believe it or not, it took me forty-eight weeks, four days, six hours, three minutes, and twenty-nine seconds to write the first sentence of my WIP. It took my boss lady only a few seconds, until she let me taste it and saw it made me gag. So she changed it and I didn’t like that one either. She changed it again and that time I loved it, but she ended up changing the rest of the scene so she had to tweak it once again.
I know how grueling it can be to type that first word, so I’ve compiled a list of explosive prompts that will hopefully dynamite through your brain blocks.
“I don’t run, I stomp leisurely.”
2. “I told you, I’m not a dinosaur, I’m a flying reptile.”
3. On one rainy, blustery day, our race practically went extinct—except me.
4. “I’m never eating that book again.”
5. Once upon a time, there lived a Becklespinax who didn’t like anybody.
6. When a maiasaura sits on a nest, they hardly expect an Afrovenator to hatch out.
7. Until today, everyone thought theropods were carnivorous.
8. Meeting a Tyrannosaurus with a toothache isn’t exactly the most pleasant experience, especially when you’re the dentist.
9. Iggy the Inkylosaurus was not accustomed to running thirty mph on a ninety-five degree afternoon with a Baryonyx chasing after him.
10. Everyone called it a dragon; I called it a dinosaur.
11. “I thought the name ‘velociraptor’ meant fast?”
“It means quick thinking.”
12. Some people ask for puppies for Christmas; I asked for a Dsungaripterus.
13. “Now is not the time to fossilize.”
14. Out of all the dinosaurs Berfurd had to ask for directions, why’d he have to pick a carnivore?
15. Ride a triceratops, they said. It’ll be fun, they said.
16. It’s not everyday that all the sauropods, theropods, and ornithopods get together for a picnic.
17. Trying to get an Authorosarus out of a bookstore is like trying to get a Saint Bernard out of a peanut butter factory.
18. On April 11, 2020, Dr. William T. Crabgrass discovered a new use for Metriacanthosaurus teeth.
19. Meteor showers are a common occurrence in the createtus period.
20. No one knew why, but for some reason, Winky the Wannanosaurus was terrified of butterflies.
Which prompt was your favorite? What’s the single most interesting first sentence you have ever read? What’s the best first sentence you have ever written?
If you write any stories about these prompts, please send them to me! I’d love to eat them!